[精华推荐]《权力的游戏》多恩亲王接新戏了

看美剧学英语:《新闻编辑室》S01E01 口语笔记

lisa 于2015-01-28发布 l 已有人阅读

Can you say in one sentence or less...

请用不超过一句话...

Um, you know what I mean.

你们懂我意思

Can you say why America is the greatest country in the world?

请问:为什么美国是世上最伟大的国家

Diversity and opportunity.

多元性和机遇

Lewis.

路易斯

Freedom and freedom. So let's keep it that way.

自由 还是自由 永远都要自由

Will.

威尔

The New York Jets.

纽约喷气机队

No, I'm gonna hold you to an answer on that.

不行 你一定得回答

What makes America the greatest country in the world?

为什么美国是世上最伟大的国家

Well, Lewis and Sharon said it...

路易斯和莎伦都说了

diversity and opportunity and freedom and freedom.

多元性和机遇 自由和自由

I'm not letting you go back to the airport without answering the question.

它不是;但它可以是;你不回答 我是不会放你走的

Well, our Constitution is a masterpiece.

我们的宪法是一项杰作

James Madison was a genius.

詹姆斯`麦迪逊总统是个天才;美国宪法之父

The Declaration of Independence is, for me,

对我而言 独立宣言

the single greatest piece of American writing.

是美国文学史上最伟大的作品

You don't look satisfied.

你看起来还不满意

One's a set of laws and the other's a declaration of war.

前者是一套法律 后者是宣战稿

I want a human moment from you.

我想看到你人性的部分

What about the people? Why is America...

它不是;谈谈国民如何 美国为什么...

It's not the greatest country in the world, Professor.

美国不是最伟大的国家 教授

That's my answer.

这就是我的答案

- You're saying... - Yes.

-你是说... -是的

- Let's talk about... - Fine. Sharon, the NEA is a loser.

-我们来谈... -莎伦 艺术基金会就是个废物

Yeah, it accounts for a penny out of our paycheck,

没错 它是花不了多少税款

but he gets to hit you with it any time he wants.

可却给他机会 次次都来咬你

It doesn't cost money, it costs votes.

你们吵来吵去 消耗的不是钱 是一次次投票

It costs airtime and column inches.

浪费广播时间和专栏长度

You know why people don't like liberals?

为什么人们不喜欢自由主义者

Because they lose.

因为他们总是输

If liberals are so fuckin' smart,

要是他们有那么聪明

how come they lose so goddamn always?

又怎么会他妈一次都没赢过

And with a straight face you're gonna tell students

而你 居然好意思告诉学生

that America is so star-spangled awesome

我们美国已经牛逼透顶

that we're the only ones in the world who have freedom?

是世上唯一拥有自由的国家吗

Canada has freedom. Japan has freedom.

加拿大有自由 日本有自由

The U.K., France, Italy, Germany,

英国 法国 意大利 德国

Spain, Australia. Belgium has freedom!

西班牙 澳洲 比利时都有自由

207 sovereign states in the world,

全球207个主权国家中

like 180 of them have freedom.

大概有180个都有自由

- All right... - And, yeah, you, sorority girl.

-好了... -还有你 联谊会女生

Just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day,

以免你以后不小心乱入了投票站

there are some things you should know,

有些事你是要知道的

and one of them is there is absolutely no evidence to support the statement

比如 你的问题根本毫无根据

that we're the greatest country in the world.

美国是世上最伟大的国家吗

We're seventh in literacy, 27th in math,

我们识字率排第7 数学第27

22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy,

科学排第22 预期寿命第49

178th in infant mortality,

婴儿死亡率排178

third in median household income,

中等家庭收入排第3

number four in labor force, and number four in exports.

劳动力排第4 出口额排第4

We lead the world in only three categories:

只有三项 我们是榜首

Number of incarcerated citizens per capita,

监禁人员所占总人口比重

number of adults who believe angels are real,

相信天使的成年人数量

and defense spending where we spend

和国防开支

more than the next 26 countries combined,

这项支出比后面26个国家的总和还多

25 of whom are allies.

其中25个还是盟国

Now, none of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student,

当然 这都不是你这个20岁大学生的错

but you nonetheless are without a doubt

但你却毋庸置疑

a member of the worst period generation period ever period.

生活在这个史上最糟糕最悲剧的年代

So when you ask what makes us

所以你问我是什么造就了

the greatest country in the world,

这个最伟大的国度

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

我真不懂你他妈在放什么狗屁

Yosemite?

国家公园吗

We sure used to be.

我们的确辉煌过

We stood up for what was right.

我们为正义而拼

We fought for moral reasons.

为道德而战

We passed laws, struck down laws for moral reasons.

因合乎道德而立良法 因违背道德而废恶法

We waged wars on poverty, not poor people.

我们要消灭的是贫穷 不是穷人

We sacrificed. We cared about our neighbors.

甘愿牺牲 关心邻里

We put our money where our mouths were and we never beat our chest.

勤劳踏实 不空口说大话

We built great big things,

我们有过伟大的发明

made ungodly technological advances,

有过逆天的科学创造

explored the universe, cured diseases,

探索太空 治愈疾病

and we cultivated the world's greatest artists

培育出了最出色的艺术家

and the world's greatest economy.

和最强盛的经济体

We reached for the stars, acted like men.

我们敢于挑战 同时心怀谦逊

We aspired to intelligence. We didn't belittle it.

我们追求智慧 不自负

It didn't make us feel inferior.

并没有因此降了身价

We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election

我们不凭"投票给了谁"来区分人

and we didn't... we didn't scare so easy.

也不像现在 如此轻易畏惧

Ahem, we were able to be all these things

以前之所以能做到这些

and do all these things because we were informed.

是因为我们信息充足

By great men, men who were revered.

有受人尊敬的伟大人物告知我们

The first step in solving any problem

解决问题的第一步

is recognizing there is one.

是要承认问题的存在

America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.

美国再也不是世上最伟大的国家了

Enough?

满意了

What the fuck was that?

你他妈脑残了吗

【学习笔记】

1.with a straight face: 板着脸,一本正经的

e.g.And with a straight face you're gonna tell students that America is so star-spangled awesome that we're the only ones who have the freedom. 而你居然还一本正经地告诉学生美国已经是世界上独一无二的国家,我们是唯一拥有自由的人!

2. beat our chest: 拍胸脯,打包票

e.g.We never beat our chest. 我们从不空口说大话。

3. off the hook: 脱身,摆脱困境

e.g.I was telling you not to let him off the hook. 我是告诉你不要对他手软。

4. take it out on: 对...发泄

e.g.You blew the interview and you took it out on me. 你自己搞砸了采访还对我撒气。

5. jump a sinking ship: 跳槽

e.g.You're jumping a sinking ship 船一沉你就逃跑了。

6. an axe to grind: 另有所图,别有用心

e.g.Does he have an axe to grind? 她是不是另有所图。

7. get off on the wrong foot 出师不利

e.g.We got off on the wrong foot. 我们一开始进行的不顺

下一篇
返回列表
评论
最新学习文章 >>更多

Copyright©原版英语网  All Rights Reserved 版权所有