立即打开

BBC成语: hot potato 烫手的山芋很“棘手”

Vegetable idioms

与蔬菜有关的习语

In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with vegetables.

这节课老师会给大家讲解三个和蔬菜相关的习语

1. It's a hot potato

1. 这是个棘手的问题

2. A carrot and stick

2.软硬兼施

3. Like two peas in a pod

3.一模一样

Hello, I'm a very interesting and intelligent man. And today, this carrot, these peas and this potato are going to be teaching you some idioms in English.

哈喽,我是个既幽默又聪明的人。今天,这根胡萝卜,这些豌豆和这个土豆来教大家几个英语习语。

I bet you've never been taught by some vegetables before.

我敢说没有人上过这些蔬菜的课吧!

Ah, my boss.

啊,我老板

He's not very happy with me at the moment.

他现在对我非常不满意。

He found out I'm giving you these secret video classes and he wants me to stop.

他发现了我给你们秘密上课,想让我停止。

He thinks these lessons are just... silly.

他认为这些课程很...愚蠢。

It's a hot potato.

真是个棘手的问题。

In English, if there's a delicate issue and people can't agree we call it a 'hot potato'.

在英语中,我们用‘hot potato’来表示复杂的问题和人。

It's a hot potato.

这是个棘手的问题。

But he has offered me a carrot. Well, not a real one.

但他已经给了我一根胡萝卜了,好吧,不是真的胡萝卜。

If I stop the classes he'll buy me a framed picture of Mr Bean. But if I don't, he'll fire me and stop the classes!

如果我停止授课,他会送我一份憨豆先生的签名。但如果我不停止,他会开除我并停止这些课程。

It's a carrot and stick.

真是棘手。

In English, if someone tries to persuade us to do something using an incentive and a threat, we call it a 'carrot and stick'.

在英语中,如果使用软硬兼施的方式试图说服某人时,可以说‘carrot and stick’.

A carrot and stick.

软硬兼施

Have you met my brother?

你看到我哥哥了吗?

He's not very interesting or intelligent, but he does look very similar to me.

他虽然没我有趣和聪明,但我们兄弟两长相相近。

Yes, we're like two peas in a pod.

没错,我们两一模一样。

In English, if two people look very similar we can say they're like two peas in a pod.

在英语中,形容两个人长得很像可以用 like two peas in a pod这个表达。

Like two peas in a pod.

一模一样。

打开APP阅读全文