Teaching aims and demands
1.Study Lesson 2 to know about Walt Disney and the main characters in his cartoon films.
2.Lesson language points in this lessons.
Step 1. Revision
1. Check the homework exercises.
2. Brainstorm Disneyland: ask some questions.
What can you see at Disneyland?
What can you do there?
Would you like to go there?
Step 2. Lead -in
1.Talk about the picture on top of this book: Ask the students the questions:
What can you see in the picture?
Can you describe it?
2. Ask the students to read the passage and answer the question: How did he get the idea for his first cartoon character?
Step 3 Listening
Listen to this passage and try to answer the following questions.
1.When and where was Walt Disney born?
2.What appeared on day when he was drawing pictures in his family garage?
1.He was born in Chicago in 1901.
2.A mouse appeared one day when Walt Disney was drawing pictures in the family garage.
Step 4 Reading
Read the story about Walt Disney in your Student's Book again and then answer the questions.
1. Who was Walt Disney?
2. When and where was he born?
3. Why did he go to a newspaper office with some of his pictures?
4. What did his friends say to him after he was refused by the newspaper office?
5. Why did he use to sit in the garage and draw pictures there?
6. What happened one day when he was drawing pictures in the garage?
7. Where did he move some years later?
8. Did he try to find a job at the new place? What was the result?
9. What did he begin to draw after he failed to find a job again?
10. What else did he draw after his first cartoon character was well received?
1.He was an American cartoon―maker and film―maker.
2.He was born in Chicago in 1901.
3.It's because he wanted to get a job there.
4.They encouraged him and said: “ Don’t worry, Walt. We like your pictures. They are very good. We are sure you will be well―known as an artist before long.”
5.Because his family was poor.
6.He saw a mouse coming into the garage and played on the floor.
7.Some years later, he moved to the west coast of the USA.
8.No, he didn't. He was still unsuccessful.
9.He began to draw the mouse.
10.He drew Donald Duck, Snow White, The Three Little Pigs Build A House and something else after his first cartoon character was well received.
Step 5 Language points
1) take along 带领、携带。含“一道带来、随身携带”的意思。如：
2) in the hope of 抱有。。。的希望
3) Be well-known as. = be famous as 作为。。。 而闻名
4)lose heart 灰心，气馁
5) day after day; = for a number of days; continuously 天天地，日复一日地．作状语，表示动.
day by day 一天天地，逐渐地．强调动作的变化过程．
in this way = by this means 以这种方法，用这种方式。
6) be pleased with 对。。。感到满意，喜欢
Step 6 Note making
Born: Chicago, 1901
Wish: to be a famous artist
Work: artist, cartoon-maker, film-maker
Cartoon characters: Mickey Mouse and Donald duck
Became well-known: during 1920s
Successes: to make famous cartoon characters, cartoon films and starts
Step 7 Practice
Work in pairs, Talk about the following pictures in pairs.
1.Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
2.Snow White’s Birthday Party
3.The Three Little Pigs Build A House
Step 8 Homework
Finish off the workbook exercises.
Read the passage again. Try to retell the story.
Do Ex. 3 as written work..