teaching aims and demands
1.learn how canadian to use english and tell the difference between american accent and a canadian accent.
2. study daily expressions: language study.
step 1 leading-in
show the students a picture and introduce the two characters in the dialogue by raising the following questions.
1) what can you see in the picture?
2) is the man american?
3) can you guess what they are talking about?
step 2 listening
let the students listen to the dialogue and listen the following questions:
1) is an america accent quite different from a canadian accent?
2) do people have the same accent all over canada?
step 3 reading
1.ask the students to read the dialogue silently and think about the question:
which of the following does dean talk about, grammar, vocabulary, spelling or pronunciation?
2.get the students to tell whether the statements are right or wrong.
1) there are a lot of differences between american english and canadian english.
2)“i don't follow you” means “i don't understand you.”
3)in canada, most people mainly use british english.
4) canadian newspapers use british english, but schoolbooks use american english.
5) canadians from different parts of the country speak quite differently.
key: 1.false 2.true 3.false 4.false 5.true
step 4 dialogue practice
let the students fill in the form below, using the follow questions as a guide.
using the following questions:
1) are there any many differences between them?
2) do they sue any different words for the same meaning?
3) are there any differences in pronunciation?
4) do they use american or british english?
step 5 language points
deal with language points.
1.tell the difference between a and b 说出……之间的区别
*tell a from b 把……和……区分开
* tell a lie/lies 说谎, 撒谎
* tell/speak the truth 说实话
* tell about 告诉关于……的事
* 遵循, 按照．．．．．．行事
* 听得懂， 明白 ＝ understand
* 跟随，跟着，＝ come, go have a place after
* 沿着．．．．．．而行，循着 ＝ go along , keep to
3.generally speaking 一般地說
step 6 practice
get he students to practice the dialogue in pairs. talk about the differences between canadian english and american english. the t tells them to practise with your partner , then practise in front of the class.
a: where are you from?
b: i’m from england.
a: could you tell me the difference between an american accent and british accent.
b: for example: spelling, pronunciation, …
step 7 oral practice
ask the students to work in groups of four and discuss the following questions:
situation 1: you are talking about the english language with a person from american.
situation 2: a foreigner who is visiting china wants to know the difference between chinese and japanese.
step 8 homework
1.finish off the exercises in your workbook.
2.preview lesson 26.