1. Learn lesson 38 to get brief idea of the story.
2. The students are required to answer some questions.
Step I Revision
1）Check the homework exercises.
2）Ask the students to retell the dialogue.
Questions and answers:
1. Show a Mark Twain’s picture and talk about him.
2. In our middle school text books. What articles were written by Mark Twain?
“Run for a Governor.” “A Million Pound Note”
Step Ⅲ Watching and Listening
Watch the video or Listen to the tape and then answer these questions.
1. Why did the shop assistant show the customer the cheapest clothes?
2. What made the manager very excited?
Key: 1. He thought the customer was very poor and could not afford to buy expensive clothes.
2. He thought the customer was a millionaire
Read the dialogue quickly and try to answer the questions. Ask them to read the passage carefully.
1. What did the customer want?
2. How did the customer Tod?
3. What did the shop assistant show the customer?
4. How did the customer want to pay?
5. What made the manager fed excited?
6. What can we learn from the story?
1. The customer wanted to buy a suit.
2. He looked poor. And his clothes were old.
3. He showed the customer the cheapest clothes
4. He wanted to pay with a large note.
5. The million pound note made the manager feel excited.
6. We should never judge a person by his clothes.
Step ⅤLanguage points
1. no matter wh ---引导让步状语从句
2. Is anything the matter? 怎么回事？the matter = wrong
3. do sth. a favour = do a favour for do 帮某人一个忙；答应某人的要求
4. drop in on 人/ drop in at 地点
Step VI Speaking and Talking
Please look at two pictures on the book.. Let the students to work in pairs. Check their answers with the whole class.
Picture 1: A customer came into a tailor's shop. The shop assistant looked at him up and down. From the clothes, the assistant thought he was a poor man.
Picture 2: After the tailor knew the man had one million pound note, he was very surprised. The manager measured him by himself. They changed their attitude to the man completely.
Step VII Oral practice
Divide the Ss into a few groups to practice a play according to the text.
Step VIII Exercise
Do Exercise 3 on Page 119
Keys: suit; note; down; chose; choice; showed; surprised; up; exceed; favor, off; put; measured; material; to; order; change; all; put; in; when
Step IX Homework
1. Retell the story in your own words.
2.Prepare Lesson 39.