1. Let students know what hurricane is and what to do when hurricane comes.
2. The students are required to answer the questions raised by the teacher and in the passage.
1.a tape recorder 2.a projector 3.the blackboard 4. A set of multi-media equipment.
1. Check the homework exercises.
3. Revise the dialogue in Lesson 41 by asking questions and telling the story of Jane and Pippa.
Step ⅡLeading- in
Questions and Answers
1) Have you experienced a hurricane ?
2). Talk about the picture on Page 62.
Listen to the tape and answer some questions.
1. What happened in a hurricane?
2. Why are hurricanes dangerous ?
3. Why did the hurricane cause so much damage?
4. Who helped to get things back to normal after the hurricane ?
5. Which parts of China have hurricanes?
Keys:1.When a hurricane comes, the heavy rain and strong winds make the trees down and house destroyed.
2.Because hurricanes can destroy trees, houses and make people lose their lives.
3.Because it had been raining heavily, the ground was wet and the trees were easily pushed over by the wind.
4.The army, the electricity workers and the telephone workers helped to get things back to normal after the hurricane.
5.Usually there are hurricanes in the southeast of China.
Step Ⅳ Reading
Read the text and try to know the general idea, and then tell the true or false sentences.
1. On Friday 16th Oct. 1987, a hurricane struck the southeast of England.
2. In the hurricane, ninety people lost their lives.
3. England usually has plenty of rain every month of the year.
4. In the morning people woke up and found the outside world hardly changed.
5. Many towns and villages had their water supply cut off because there was no electricity.
6. It took months to clear all the roads and to mend all the broken electricity lines and telephone lines by the army.
Answers: T F T F T F
Step 5 Watch video and then do exercise I on page 124
Step V Language points
1.up to 2.as well as
3.If 主语 had done, 主语 should/ would/could/ might have done.
Step VI Discussion
Discuss the following questions:
1. What happens in a hurricane?
2. Why are hurricanes dangerous?
3.Which parts of China have hurricane?
Step VII Exercise
Look at Page 124. Do Ex 1 and Ex 2 . Before doing Ex 2, revise the expressions. Let the students work in pairs. Check the answers with the whole class and get the students to put the sentences into Chinese.
Step VIII Homework
1. Prepare Lesson 43.
2. Write a short passage according to the four pictures on Page 63.