Teaching Aims and Demands:
1.Study Angkor Wat and some of the problems with repairing the temple.
2.Study the useful expressions:
spread; Cambodia; fall to pieces; workforce; pile; watch over; midday; in battle; carry on; sunset; pink; take on; golden
Step I Revision
1.Check the Ss homework.
2.Ask the Ss some expressions of the dialogue .
Step II Introduction:
1.Questions and answers.
There is a famous temple in Cambodia, which is as well-known as the Great Wall of China. Do you know what’s its name?…… Yes, it’s Angkor Wat. Today we will learn something about it.
2.Show some Angkor Wat pictures to the Ss.
Step III Reading
Read the passage to find the answer to this question:
What are some of the problems with repairing the temple?
Key: They cannot do repair work during the rainy seasons; there are very few stone workers left; many of the men have gone off to the cities.
Step IV Further Reading
Read the passage again and then tell whether the following sentences are true or false.
1. Angkor Wat, a temple in Cambodia, was destroyed in the war time.
2. On the day of the author's visit, the temple was being cleaned, repaired and rebuilt.
3. A team of 15 Cambodian experts organized a workforce of 400 people, most of whom were women, to work for the repair programme.
4. All the members of the team worked very hard and the work went on smoothly.
5. The main difficulty of the repair work was the lack of water.
6. The women were cleaning very carefully a tiny area of each stone.
7. The workers laid down plastic sheets to protect the precious painted stones.
8.There were quite a few machines and heavy equipment to help with the work so it went very fast.
9.The workers started working at seven in the morning and stopped at night. hey worked six days a week, with a break at midday.
10. For more than six months in the year all the work had to stop because the rainy season made it impossible.
1.True 2.True 3. False 4.False 5.False 6.True 7.False 8.False 9.False 10. True
Step V Language study
1. Besides, there are very few skilled stone workers left after the war years. ( = Also, there are very few skilled stone workers that are left after the war years. 此外，战争年代过后，技术熟练的石匠已所剩无几。
It’s too late to go to the concert. Besides, it’s raining. 现在去音乐会太晚了，而且又在下雨。
2. Nowhere else in the world can there be such a quiet, beautiful place.世界上再没有这样优美、恬静的地方了。
分析：Where与no, any, some 等词构成复合词，如：nowhere（没有任何地方），anywhere(任何地方, somewhere(某个地方) everywhere(到处) 它们都是副词，以nowhere开头的句子往往为了强调，常引起句子倒装。如：Nowhere else can you enjoy such beautiful music. 如果nowhere 不放在句首，句子则不倒装。如：
He went nowhere last Sunday. ( = Nowhere did he go last Sunday)
3.Piles of stones lie in a corner of the courtyard, waiting to be replaced(=Piles of stones are in a corner of the courtyard, and are waiting to be replaced.)
分析：句中-ing短语（waiting to be replaced ）用作状语，表示伴随状态。这种含有表示伴随状态的-ing短语的句子，常常可以改成具有并列谓语动词的句子（见上述括号中的句子）。
He sat in a chair, reading newspapers.(=He sat in a chair and read newspapers.)
Step VI Note making
Read the passage quickly and do the following on page 39, Part 3. The T tells the Ss individually, check them the answers after a while.
Step VII Discussion
Discuss the following questions with your partner. The T Divide the class into several groups and discuss:
1.Why was the temple a deserted place in 1980?
2.How does water damage the temple?
3.Why are boards laid on the ground?
4.why is no repair work done for six or seven months of the year?
5.Why do men go to cities leaving women to carry on with the work?
6.Why is the temple not a quite place during the day?
Step VIII Homework
1.Retell this passage in your own words.
2.Finish off the exercises of your Workbook.