I. Teaching objectives
1. Words and useful expressions: Fall to pieces; workforce; pile; watch over; midday; in battle; carry on; sunset; pink; take on; golden; opposite; fierce; importance; state; once in a while
2. Grammar: Revise the verb tenses
3. Reading practice: reading and discussion and grammar practice
4. Culture and background knowledge: after learning this unit, the students are supposed to learn something about ancient civilization in Cambodia. They are also expected to share the effulgence of different civilizations.
Ⅱ.Key points: grammar and useful expressions
Ⅲ.Teaching methods: Reading — practice
Step 1. Revision
(1) Check the homework exercises.
(2) Revise the key points of the previous lesson.
Step 2. Reading
Read the passage quickly and answer the following.
Has the first part of the repair programme been finished?
Step 3. Further Reading
Tell the students to read the text carefully and answer the questions on the workbook P99.
1. What happened to the city of Angkor in 1177?
2. What happened to the ruins of the city? Who discovered them? How did they find them and how did they feel about them?
3. How large was the area of the old city of Angkor and how many buildings did it include?
4. How long had the old city of Angkor been built?
5. When was the temple of Angkor Wat built and how big the area it covers?
6. What did the French do after discovering the ruined temple?
7. Who visited the temple in 1980? What did they find?
8. Who did the repair work? And when did they start it?
9. What did the Indian team do for the repair work?
10. When was the work finished?
1. It was seized after a fierce battle and fell into ruins.
2. The ruins were soon covered by thick forests and were forgotten until 1861. The French,who then controlled Cambodia, discovered them. They were astonished by what they found.
3. It covered an area of 200 square kilometres. And it included more than 50 major buildings and others of less important within this area.
4. It had been built over a period of six centuries up until 1431.
5. It was built from 1113 to 1150 and covers an area of two square kilometres.
6. They did a lot of repair work .
7. An Indian team. They found many of the stone figures had been stolen and others were falling to pieces.
8. A team of 15 Indian experts began work with 400 Cambodian workers. It started in 1986.
9.More than 70,000 square metres of stone were cleaned and protected against the water. Thousands of stone blocks were moved and many roof sections were replaced with new ones where necessary.
10. In June 1994.
Step 4. Language points
Tell the students to read the text and underline the language points. Talk about the language difficulties with the students.
(1) in search of 寻找
注意区别：in one‘s search for
(2) carry on 继续下去，继续进行
Please carry on as usual while I am away. 我不在时，请照常干。
Conversation was carried on in English.
Now let’s carry on with the work.
(3) take on 呈现出新的面貌
After the thorough cleaning, our school took on a new look.
Since 1978, China has taken on a new look.
Under the vivid pen of the writer, these dry facts of history have taken on flesh and blood. 在这位作家生花妙笔之下，这些枯燥乏味的历史事实被写得有血有肉的。
The new leaders are making every effort to improve business management, and the factory is beginning to take on a new look. 新领导努力改善经营管理，工厂开始呈现新的面貌。
After the students put up a Christmas tree in the center, the classroom took on a holiday appearance. 同学们在教室中央放了一株圣诞树，教室里呈现出一派节日景象。
(4) fall into ruins 坍塌成废墟
Many of the stone figures had been stolen and others were falling into pieces. 许多石像被盗窃，另外一些石像崩裂倒塌。
(5) be astonished by 被……弄得大为吃惊
be astonished to do 干……很吃惊
be astonished that 对……大为吃惊
(6) cover an area of = take up an area of = occupy an area of = have an area of 占地面积…… For example:
This school covers an area of 500 square miles.
China has an area of about 9,600,000 square kilometres.
(7) up until / to 直到，到……为止
The French, after discovering the ruined temple, did a lot of repair work up until 1970. 在发现这座满目疮痍的寺庙后，法国人做了大量的修复工作，直到1970年为止。
They had been built over a period of six centuries up till 1431.
(8) in a poor state 处于破烂不堪的状态。
注意该词组的不同搭配：in a solid state 以固体状态。in a bad state of health 身体状态不佳。in a good state 状态良好。
(9) have experience in 在……有经验
He has a lot of experience in repairing TV sets.
She has much experience in teaching English.
We had several terrible experiences on our trip.
(10) once in a while 偶尔，有时
I don‘t drink wine as a rule, but I don’t mind a glass once in a while. 我一般是不饮酒的，但是我也不反对偶尔喝一杯。
Step 5. Practice---- grammar revision
SB P40~41, Part 2~5, Tell the students to do the exercises about the verb tenses in groups and tell each other why the tense is used in the situation, After they have finished, some eloquent students are asked to report to the rest of the class.
Step 6. Workbook
Workbook Lesson 27, Ex. 2~3. Get the students to do the exercises and then check the answers with the students if time permits.
(1) Finish off the exercises of Lesson 27 in the workbook.
(2) Revise the grammar of verb tenses.