立即打开

VOA日常英语语法视频 Everyday Grammar: Modals for Asking Permission 2016-2-14(英语字幕)

This is Everyday Grammar. I'm Kaveh.

欢迎收看《每日语法》栏目,我是Kaveh。

And I'm Lucija. Today we're going to talk about using modals to ask for permission.

我是Lucija。今天我们讲一讲用情态动词表达获得许可的请求。

Hey Lucija. I need to pick up my sister from the airport. Can I drive your car?

嗨,Lucija,我要去机场接我妹妹,我能开你的车去吗?

I don't know. Can you drive my car? It's a manual transmission.

我不知道,你能开我的车吗?我的车是手动档的。

That's not what I meant, silly. Of course I can drive a manual transmission.

真傻,我不是那个意思。我当然能开手动挡的车。

But you did bring up an important grammar point. Can is a confusing modal verb. Traditionally can expresses ability. But today, a lot of people use can to ask for permission, which is fine. But it's not always clear if someone is asking about ability or asking for permission.

但你引出了一个重要的语法点。Can是一个容易混淆的情态动词,传统意义上说,can表达的是能力,但如今,很多人用can这个词来表达请求获得许可,但有时候他人是问的关于能力方面还是关于请求许可,这个词的意思并不是一直都那么明晰。

Well, can you give me an example?

这样,能举个例子吗?

It's hot in here. Can I open the window?

It's hot in here. Can I open the window?(这儿很热,我能开窗吗?)

I don't know. Can you? Are you asking if it is possible to open the window? Or are you asking for permission to open the window.

我不知道,你能吗?你是在问是否有可能开窗还是问能不能开窗?

I'm asking for permission. But we have other options. May I is a clear and very polite way to ask for permission.

我在请求许可,但是我们有其他选择,may I是一个更清晰更礼貌的询问许可的表达。

OK, so let's go back to my first question. May I drive your car?

好的,那回到我最开始问的问题,我可以开你的车吗?

Good. Now it is clear that you are asking for permission. But may is rather formal. Could is less formal and a better choice to use with friends.

不错,现在很明显你是在请求我的许可,但是may相当正式,could没那么正式,所以朋友之间,用could会更好。

Could I drive your car to the airport?

我能开你的车去机场吗?

Perfect!

完美!

And that's Everyday Grammar.

以上就是今天节目的所有内容。

打开APP阅读全文